The Ricks Family

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What a Year!!

So, today was the day!

I want to start off by telling everyone thank you for sending the sweet congrats. We have had a very fun day.

We started the day the same as usual. Wake-up, eat breakfast, homeschool, lunch with daddy, and mommy time (nap or quite time). Then today Jon had an eye doctor appointment. We went to that and rushed home for dinner. Who would have thought it would take an hour and a half for a six month check-up. Well, it did. And with three kids who just woke up from nap and was ready to GO it was quite exhausting.

After we got home we finished up our dinner which had been working for about 6 hours in the crockpot. Crushed pineapple and paprika pork-chops. YUM. Mike made coleslaw last night while I did my nightly cleaning of the kitchen. We had that as a side. The kids started off by not liking the coleslaw until Mike made it a competition. Then after the competition was over and the coleslaw was gone on all of there plates Renee said "Daddy, I liked that cough-slawff". Success!!!

After dinner we had a surprise cake and everyone (except mommy) got a corner. At our house you get the corner on your birthday. :) It was chocolate with Publix buttercream...is there anything better?!?

Then off to church we went. Continued on our Wednesday night routine. On Wednesday nights during the summer we have what is called "Imagine". The kids are able to learn about different forms of art. Sunday nights they have painting, sign language, and dance. Wednesday nights you choose between drama and music. Yes, you guessed it...mine wanted drama. Tonight was the last night of the program since school starts next week. The kids had their end of the year play time in the gym and got to run around and get all of their energy out. YAY!!! We have been waiting since nap to do that. :) It was cute seeing all the kids talk to people about today. They kept telling everyone "Our whole family is one today". That was fun to see.

Came home, kids got in pj's, brushed teeth (after a quick cheese stick and a couple sips of milk), then we were off to pray and sleep.



I had a lot of people recognize the day and tell us congratulations. Although, I had one that I remember distinctly, he asked "What have you learned during the year?" That made me think. My first response was "how I need more patience". His answer "That is a fruit of the spirit". Huh, guess I need to work on that one. :) Then I thought a little longer and said "how much longer it takes me to do things, I just can't hop in the car and go. Now I have to make sure everyone has shoes on, that we all go to the bathroom before leaving because if not as soon as we start backing out of the driveway someone will need to go". :) But thinking more about that question the one thing that I learned this year is how God answers prayer. "Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4) How true that is. We have been praying for more than five years for the desire of our heart. One day hoping that he would answer. And boy did he. So if I had a second chance to answer that question I would have said "How great is our God, and how faithful He is to His Word" So if I can encourage you today, don't give up but instead give it up...to Him. He knows what keeps you up at night, He knows what is always on your mind, and He knows the desires of your heart. There were many nights that I wasn't sure if God was going to fulfill what we were asking for. I know...how human am I to quit on God. Thankfully he didn't quit on me and tonight I can sit here and type about how faithful He is.

Thank you Lord for answering my prayers. May I remember how great and mighty You are.







2 comments:

  1. Hard to believe it's been a year - very nice post. Now let's start planning those road trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The past year feels like its been forever, but like its passed so quickly at the same time. I remember the first time they stayed with y'all and Renee came in the Sunday School class with you and I- all I wanted to do was play with my new cousin (before we even knew we were officially going to be cousins), but she was sleepy and shy. My oh my how quickly they all came out of their shells! I just love all three of our little peas to pieces.

    ReplyDelete