The Ricks Family

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Baptism

Jon and Wesley were laying in bed one night after being tucked in and prayed for. Then I hear Wesley calling "mommy" (not very uncommon for him) so I go in to see what it was this time. And he says "do we come back to life when we die?" So I wasn't sure if this was going to be the start of something that I didn't want Mike to miss out on. I called him in to join me.

Wesley had lots of questions about the future, what would happen to us and what it will be like. He was processing every answer and had questions to build on that. He is very methodical. Jon was laying in the top bunk listening to the conversation and asking questions as well. After about a thirty minute conversation about how you go to heaven and how we cannot make the decision for them we told them to get some sleep and if they were ever ready to ask Jesus into their heart and wanted help to let us know and we would stop everything we were doing. Kissing Jon goodnight for the second time he said "Daddy, I'm going to ask Jesus into my heart tonight" Mike said "You are? Well, why do you think you need Jesus" and he says "Well Dad, there were these two people named Adam and Eve, and they ate off of the tree that God told them not to eat off. And when they did they sinned and now we all sin" (Just remember they have never heard about Jesus or God six months before, and now to be able to recite the story and remember every detail was amazing.)

He continued on to say that in order to go to heaven he has to ask Jesus to forgive him and to be in control of his life and that he was ready to do that. So Mike asked him to come and sit in his lap on the floor. That night Jon started his walk with Christ. We tucked him in bed and Wesley said "daddy I want to pray the prayer too". If you know Wesley then you know that he is not the type to be pressured. He will only do things in his time (which is sometimes frustrating for me :) So Mike got him in his lap and talked to him some more. Then Wesley prayed and asked Jesus to be in control of his life. What an amazing night. Then to top it all off Jon says "do you think my old mommy and daddy (thats what they call their biological parents) will be going to heaven." Mike said he wasn't sure and that if they did not ask Jesus into their hearts that they would not but that we could pray for them to make that decision. Jon said I am going to right now. He then started praying out loud "dear Jesus, I pray that my old mommy and daddy will ask you into their heart and will be able to go to heaven with me and Wesley and mommy and daddy. Amen." If Jon and Wesley asking Jesus into their hearts wasn't enough...for Jon to do that was just incredible. 

We left the boys room to go pray with Renee. Walking into her room she says "mommy, daddy, I do not want to talk to Jesus" lol. The mind of a four year old. So precious. Mike said she was probably thinking...I have some guy living under my bed, one in my closet, and pretty sure one outside my window, I don't need one in my heart trying to scare me from the inside. :)

So in just three days they will go in front of the church to be baptized. They are so excited to share this with everyone. They even practiced last week in the pool at nanny's house. :)

Thank you Lord for blessing me with amazing children, and for the gift of salvation. I am not worthy. But very thankful.

1 comment: